Sunday, February 9, 2014

Individualism and Alexis de Tocqueville


I chose to focus on Tocqueville's view of Individualism because it is something that affects everyone in our society. Individualism refers to separating yourself from your surroundings to reflect on yourself. I believe the way our society is changing to be more individualized puts a lot more emphasis on each individual to earn their way. I like the idea of putting more emphasis on individuals to earn their way, however I think by doing this the same minority groups will be put at a disadvantage and oppressed. He believed in aristocratic behavior because it causes more other oriented behavior and less self-interested behavior than a democratic society. I strongly agree with this. In our democratic society we are so caught up in our own lives that we often fail to care about others and how our actions will be affecting them. Being an individual focuses on yourself and not the whole society. Individualism is culturally learned which makes sense because Americans value achieving and getting things on their own.
We all want to have more money, bigger houses, better cars, etc. I think the term individuals really display the greed we all contain in having more than we really need. That is why individualism and materialism go hand in hand and that is the area of individualism that really interests me. It’s very important to want to work for the things we have, but we should not put more emphasis on the goods we're obtaining than the work we're doing. I believe materialism is a vicious cycle; we really are only trying to get money to buy more things just to keep up with other people or to flaunt what we have. Tocqueville is highly critical of materialism and I think this is largely due to Americans valuing materials more than people. Our society is gearing more and more towards a society full of individuals and it’s scary to think about how many and wrapped up in their own lives and not caring about the common good of all of society. people will continue to be left behind because of the lack of care we have for the others around us. Tocqueville only really looked at the negative aspects of individuals which I do agree with, but it is also nice to have a society that cherishes individual accomplishments and rewards people for the hard work and success. Tocqueville’s negative aspects he presented about individualism are still very relevant today because we have people that are very focused on materialism and wrapped up in their own lives and not caring about the common good of all of society. I chose to use this chart as supporting material because it shows that Americans really do believe that the individuals are in control of the success in their life, while many other large countries think that success is determined by outside forces.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I also decided to focus on Tocqueville's view of Individualism, and I do agree a lot with his findings and yours, however I still do not see how it is democracy that causes individualism. I think that Tocqueville's conclusion that it is democracy at the root is more of a conclusion based on his place in history then the actual politics of democracy. Individualism did rise as people left the countryside to find work. But the driving factor in this is industrialization, and with industrialization also comes the two class system as corporations get more powerful and exercise more control over personal freedoms. I think that because industrialization provides a large continuous supply of low quality, cheep goods, it is in need of an ever growing base on consumers. To create this base, personal freedoms are striped to make an obedient working/consuming class whose only ways of expressing individuality and the value of their work and success is to buy things. Taking care of yourself and your family is then made into the most important thing in your life as you loss your feeling of place in society as you are now part of an assembly line economy and no longer get satisfaction out of making things and your job. Instead you feel like a cog in a machine rater then a part of a community. However, I thinks democracy's ability to make people form civil organizations, like unions and clubs to say voting blocks could be used to counter individualism. I still do not see how democracy causes individualism. I see a interesting correlation, but I fail to find causation.

    ReplyDelete